Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Art Model, Colorful Background


My mother and I belonged to an artists' club where we would hire a model to pose for us and we would draw her (occasionally him) with our own preferred medium. For my mother, it was pastel on dark-tinted paper, which left me thirty years' worth of dusty pastel model sketches when it was time to handle her legacy. I used a much more compact and less messy method of watercolor and ink. Our lady models used colorful fabrics and occasional props such as fruit or clothing as points of interest. The drawing sessions took place in an elegant venue at a church, which we rented for the afternoon. The pious Massachusetts Episcopalians had no objection to tasteful nudity in their upper room.

Watercolor and ink on sketchbook page, 4 1/2" x 4 1/2", early 1975.

No comments: