Thursday, February 22, 2018

Cambridge Cat and Turret


There are lots of ornate old houses in Cambridge, Massachusetts. They were built in what was known as the "Queen Anne" style, with lots of decorated woodwork and little towers or turrets. Many of these have been divided up into student quarters but others are being  "gentrified" by rich re-modelers back into single-family houses. The student houses are usually in disrepair, until the historic developers move in. This turret is typical of the style, and often you'll find the resident's cat in the window surveying the Cambridge scene.

Black ink on illustration board, 5" x 7", November 1980.

1 comment:

Texchanchan said...

I like QA houses. There are a good many left in Fort Worth, some in protected neighborhoods. I remember we could have bought one for $70,000 in 2002, but my parents didn't like the location, so ... no telling what it is worth now. I don't want to think about it. But then, there's the heating and cooling and lack of insulation and all the other things that go with old houses, and where I live now is close to my old mother, so that's good.