Thursday, November 23, 2017

Spiritual Harvest


I think of Thanksgiving as a harvest festival, thus avoiding the horrific stories of colonization, massacres, plagues, hunger, and universal dread. Very few of us actually have a harvest but photos and art of harvests make us feel good in some primal vegetable way. And I remember that this year took away two beloved friends, and one grande dame just a few days ago.

This design is one of many that I made for the Pagan/New Age convention "Sacred Space." The theme of these shirt designs was yearly festivals, so we celebrated the Autumn Harvest festival even though the convention was held in the summer. I was instructed to create a harvest collection, as well as an image of a "corn dolly." I had no idea what a corn dolly was but the Anglophile management explained it to me. You see her just above the pumpkin. We had a big printing budget so we were able to print the T-shirts in 6 colors on a beige shirt. I still have mine but I don't know whether "Sacred Space" still exists.

Original art is black ink on illustration board, 11" x 14", April 1999.

I wish all my friends in the (Northern Hemisphere) global neighborhood a happy harvest feast and some sort of thanksgiving. No blogging over the weekend, see you next week.

No comments: