Saturday, September 2, 2017

Sit down and do art


This is my first drawing done while seated in my new outdoor folding chair. The building is the wine castle and tasting room of Horton Vineyards, in central Virginia. Horton is one of the largest and oldest wineries in Virginia and they make enough vino to sell it in big stores like Costco and Trader Joe's. 

Does the chair work for outdoor art? So far so good. In fact if you notice, my lines are really even and they look like I might have used a ruler, but I didn't. Prince Charles' art throne is so stable that I can place art on my lap and I don't have to balance the panel on something to get good lines. I ran out of page space at the left, just as I got to the elaborate doorway, and I am debating whether to go to digital inking and complete it (from a reference photograph) on the Cintiq, which is wondering why it is not being used more. I probably will make a color-tinted version of this. Horton has a wide selection and I ended up getting a bottle of the astronomically appropriate "Eclipse" sweet red.

Black tech pen ink on sketchbook page, 10" x 6 1/2", August 28, 2017.

No comments: