Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Archimede Restaurant Rome 1976



This sketch from 1976 was done in a restaurant, while waiting for my meal to arrive. "Archimede"  is a famous restaurant in Rome which has been in existence for countless years. Some time during its tenure it was run by a gentleman named "Archimede." I am amazed that restaurants can continue to provide over decades, even centuries if you believe Roman legends. My drawing is in Rapidograph technical pen using a reddish-brown ink. At that time the European Rapidograph was the state of the art in tech pens. I acquired a Rapidograph shortly before returning to the USA but my best drawings were made in Rome. The pin-like tiny points of the Rapidograph were hard to draw with, but I was patient. I still have the old pen but it is just too difficult to work with, since it leaks and dries up quickly. The sepia brown Pitt pen from Germany is now my mainstay.

The food at Archimede was excellent. I never saw anyone remove the wine bottles from the shelf over the door. Wine at Italian restaurants is poured directly from the keg into a glass carafe. I have never tasted truly authentic Italian cuisine in the USA, either, unless it is made by an authentic Italian.

Original drawing is Rapidograph tech pen brown ink, about 7" x 9", Rome spring 1976. Drawing is difficult to see; click on image to see closer detail.

No comments: