Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Academy Lamp


Some time ago this year I posted a colored pencil rendering of a glass bottle table lamp at the American Academy in Rome. Well here's another glass bottle table lamp in the same room at the Academy. Behind the lamp is an orange leather sofa and the black hearth of the fireplace in the large parlor. I liked the way I could line up the trapezoid shapes of the hearth and the lampshade at different degrees of rotation. I did this in all colored pencil. The reason I could get such photo-like precision in this drawing is that it's done on a type of very smooth thick paper from the Italian Fabriano makers, that is not available in this country (USA). I keep trying to find an equivalent but haven't succeeded yet, and it has been 42 years. Maybe I can get it by international ordering online.

Portrait of lamp is colored pencil on Fabriano paper, 4" x 6", 1975.

1 comment:

Texchanchan said...

I bet you can get it online.