Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Kids of Kallitechnia


One or more of you might remember my illustration work for a Utopian fantasy called "Kallitechnia." This is one of my later pieces, from the last set I did concentrating on the people and costumes of the place. The author asked me for examples of costumes that children and teenagers might wear. He also asked for a racially diverse group as membership in Kallitechnia was not hereditary or uniform. These young Kallitechnians range in age from 10 to 18. As for the older ones, my client said, "Make 'em showy and sexy. They are in prime mating form and want to impress potential partners."

Black ink on illustration board, about 7" x 10", spring 1998.

1 comment:

Texchanchan said...

Nice to have a utopia where people dress sumptuously. Too many of them have the people in plain identical "practical" clothes. I've thought that if people really had to wear the same clothing (aside from special cases like the Chinese cultural revolution) they'd find some way to decorate even if only a row of paper clips around the neckline. I vaguely remember reading a story about a convent where there was a French nun. They all wore the same habit but she looked chic in it.