Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Pink Condom Truck


Saturday, June 11, was the Pride Parade and demonstration in Washington, DC. After the event was over a lot of participants filtered out into the larger city. Quite a few of them came to  the Whole Foods near my residence and one of the displays in the parking lot was this unusual truck. It looks like a pink microwave oven on wheels but it is actually a portable quarters and office for an organization called "Healthysexual," which as it describes, is a group promoting healthy sexual behavior and disclosure to medical practitioners. The "Healthysexual" website is packed with eye-blasting moving pictures of soft-core human erotic action. The van, presumably, if I presume, was loaded with condoms and other equipment.

I tried to draw this truck while balancing my sketchbook on someone's car in the parking lot, but then the owner came back, started her car without looking at me, and drove off as if I had threatened her. In our culture touching someone's car without permission is like touching someone's body without permission. I had to finish the drawing by reference to an iPhone photo, which is a no-no for Urban Sketchers. I'm such a transgressor.

Black tech pen ink on sketchbook page, colored in Photoshop, 5" x 3", June 10-11, 2017. 

By the way, one or more of you might have noticed that there were no posts here on June 8, 9, and 10. I took these days as a vacation from the urban chaos, the political pestilence, and the Whole Foods parking lot.

No comments: