Saturday, June 3, 2017

Old Roman Houses


Rome has so many layers of architectural history that you could probably trace any building back to ancient times. That would include humble dwellings such as these as well as noble palazzi and Roman ruins. I wonder what kind of furnishings and decor they had within them - maybe you would cross the rustic threshold into a fabulous hidden noble's residence complete with gilded columns, mosaics, and red velvet curtains. The green plastic netting defines a rooftop garden space, and in the original pencil drawing I depicted the old-fashioned wire TV antennas on the roofs. 

This was drawn with a ruler, and painted in the studio when I got home (to my rented room). I brought all these Roman artworks back to the USA where they were stored for dozens of years until I salvaged them from the old family house.

Watercolor over pencil on Canson watercolor paper, 10" x 8", 1976. Click on the image for a larger view. 

No comments: