Friday, March 17, 2017

Roman Terrace with Flowerpots



There are few cities more picturesque than Rome. Even the view out an ordinary window shows a complexity of levels and enjoyable details. The buildings of Rome, at least the older ones, feature small balconies and decks as well as an interior courtyard. It's a multiple space you can move through, eat lunch, tend a garden of containers and flowerpots. This is the view out the window of one of many different bed-and-breakfasts or "pensiones" I stayed in. Rome's color scheme is a wonderful bright orange stucco or a golden ocher with white trim. When the sky is clear and cloudless, the high contrast of sky blue and building orange is as glorious as a flying flag. I tried constantly to portray this with a solid blue watercolor but I kept losing the solid color with watercolor drips. Finally I used gouache, opaque watercolor, to paint over the sky in a non-drippy way.

I have just liberated the cache of artwork I did while in Rome and other places, during 1969, 1970-71, and 1975-76. As I scan them I will post them for your enjoyment. I had my art stuff with me wherever I went so there are a lot of paintings. It sure is a nicer view than the office buildings of Tysonia. 

Watercolor and gouache on watercolor paper, 7" x 10", fall 1976. Please click on the image for a larger view.

2 comments:

Mike (Altus) said...

I really like this piece. The colour and detail. I'm amazed how you manage to draw fine detail with watercolour. When I think watercolour, I think blobs. ;)

Tristan Alexander said...

Wow, so classical and clean and amazing.