Thursday, December 29, 2016

Return to the 1964 New York World's Fair


This is a re-post of an image I placed on the By-Product in early 2009. It honors the 1964 New York world's Fair which I visited in my youth. This tribute was created on a Starbucks Coffee announcement sign with acrylic markers, something which I used to do with the permission of the management for fun and coffee. I can't do anything like that now as the signs at Starbucks are all strictly controlled by corporate management. The reason I'm posting this again is that I am finally digitizing my photographs of the Fair for my family and personal archives. I will always love the fantastic mid-20-century architecture of that fair and of all the other "space age" buildings in that style, most of which are now gone. Here's one of the photos, of the Coca-Cola pavilion with its tower and its "World of Refreshment" display. The woman at right is not my mother, though my folks and I were there together. 

A movie from 2015, "Tomorrowland," features the 1964 world's fair, but I haven't seen it.


No comments: