Friday, December 23, 2016

Another version of holiday card


Here's another evocation of winter with my annual hand-painted holiday card. I decided to add leafless tree trunks and branches to it. The pale glow is moonlight or city lights through fog. I'm really beginning to like this color scheme, my "official" colors for 2017. I could re-work it for every season. 

The American abstract painter Robert Motherwell, whose work I love, would lay down hundreds of sheets of paper and paint on them seemingly at random, and then when he was done he would choose the best of them and throw the others out. I do the same thing with my holiday cards. But I don't throw any of them out. The recipients will never know whether I consider the card a winner or a loser. And I'm not an Artist like Motherwell. Just a small craft. This is why I wonder what a "small craft advisory" is. Is someone out there trying to give me advice?

Acrylic paint and markers on black paper, December 23, 2016.

No comments: