Sunday, October 23, 2016

Creek's Edge


"Wine Saturday" resumed with the Wine Team's visit to Creek's Edge Winery in Lovettsville, in the very northern tip of Virginia. This winery has been going since 2013 and I am surprised that I haven't found it before. The wine lodge on top of a hill is a masterpiece of Amish craftsmanship. It is made of beautiful wood rescued from old structures in the area and is hand-carved inside and out. The wood is finished with wine-resistant surfacing which is smooth and warm to the touch and the visual richness is enhanced with naturally irregular  edges.

We sampled the "deluxe" tasting series where they featured an interesting chardonnay, a spicy Chambourcin, and my favorite of the group, a red blend named "Foothills," which was also described as "Left Bank Bordeaux." I drew the Winery Drawing while sipping this wine which went well with sausage slices and home-made cheese. 

I think I made a nice page at Creek's Edge. My new "Irojiten" colored pencils produce a quiet range of colors which are best with blended overlay layers rather than heavy saturated color. Also Irojiten makes a perfect "cloud violet" which you can see in the lower drawing.

Sepia brown tech pen ink with colored pencils, and some touching up in acrylic marker and Photoshop, 8" x 11", October 22, 2016. Click on image to see a larger view.

No comments: