Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Great Wheel


I never tire of industrial fantasies. Here the Great Wheel turns, keeping the world in motion. It's actually part of an engine in a Swiss brewery. The wheel and its works were built in 1897. The image reached me through a beautiful book of photographs by the industrial and architectural photographer Ferit Kuyas, who lives in Switzerland. Kuyas' work almost makes me want to do photography and take it more seriously than the reference snapshots I usually make. But never mind that. I used a circle template to trace the Great Wheel, which is bad practice for an Urban Sketcher. There are so many ways to cheat in sketching. I have not ripped off Kuyas enough to violate copyright, but he'll never know and you will ignore it.

Black tech pen ink on interminable cluttered sketchbook page that I will not use as a format for my 2017 journal. 3 1/2" x 3", September 22, 2016.

No comments: