Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Exciter


This little guy is known as an "exciter." He doesn't look very exciting, but when it comes to magnetic fields in a hydroelectric power station, he's the buzz. I found him in a book of photos of antique industrial structures. I'm inspired by the bioindustrial surrealism of the Swedish artist Simon Stalenhag (see my links list at right) and by the weird little characters of Australian-Chinese artist Shaun Tan. Steal from the best, if I'm gonna steal ideas and images. 

I'm trying to fill up the empty spaces in my sketchbook journal. I wanted there to be a drawing on every page but I had so little time because of the estate business that I had to leave a blank area on the pages so I could make a drawing for it later. I suppose by journalkeeping rules this is not proper as the drawings are not chronologically linked to the written word entries. There are artists who make drawings every damn day, I don't know how they do it. I wonder if Shaun Tan does. If so, more awesome to him. I will think up a new format for Journal 2017. 

Black tech pen ink on sketchbook page, 5" x 4 1/2", September 6, 2016.

No comments: