Friday, September 30, 2016

Comic Book Fans Read their Treasures


When I lived in Cambridge, Mass., I hung out with a lot of comic book fans, illustrators, and comic book dealers. Some of them published not only sales catalogs but fan magazines about comics and the comic book lifestyle. They commissioned me to do spot illustrations for their zine pages. This little panel illustrates the fun (?) fans have when they buy a whole lot of stuff at a convention, bring it home, and read it. Believe it or not, back issues of comics like Marvel and DC were not available for buyers before about the mid-60s. This group of fans is typical of the era I was in: overwhelmingly male, young, and reading-obsessed. Note the central figure's "Harvard" sweatshirt. I wonder what he's doing these days. 

Ink on illustration board, 4" x 6", spring 1981. Klik to read what they're reading.

No comments: