Saturday, September 17, 2016

"Bredin" of Darkover title page


When I did an illustration for a piece of Darkover or other fan art, I took the text seriously and illustrated it with respect. This piece was about a young man who didn't know that he was an alien-human hybrid. I don't remember the story after that but I wanted to really do well by the illustration. If I could I usually did a title page complete with decorative typeface for the title. The architecture is borrowed from an Italian hill town. "Bredin" means "brothers" in the Darkovan language, a tongue derived from various Western European languages.
Believe it or not, someone in fannish history has reconstructed these fantasy mixes of Darkovan languages. Fans can be amazing.

Original drawing is black ink on illustration board, 8 1/2" x 11", January 1986.

No comments: