Friday, March 25, 2016

Winter Vines


A week ago, this picture didn't exist. I thought about it for a long time, had a reference photograph for it all set up (yes, photograph, it was winter, not tailgate art weather), and even took out my watercolors, but only since a week ago have I actually set watercolor brush to paper. This is what grapevines look like in the winter when they are leafless and twiggy. This vineyard is at Fox Meadow Winery in Linden, VA. The vines will not leaf out till late April or May. Meanwhile enthralled tourists are looking at DC's cherry blossoms by the light of a full moon, which seems totally japonais. I hope to feature this picture, titled "Winter Vines," as a seasonal piece in my next wine art picture book, "Virginia Under Vine."

Watercolor, ink, and colored pencil on Arches watercolor paper, 8 1/2" x 11", March 2016.

1 comment:

Mike (Altus) said...

Digital art has come a long way, but nothing quite beats the real thing. Nice work. :)