Thursday, February 11, 2016

Dreary Bank Chairs


People often ask me, "I'd love to draw but I don't know WHAT to draw, I don't have any models." I tell them, every time, "There's always something to draw, even if it's the most boring thing you could see." For instance, these upholstered seats, installed in a waiting room area of a local bank, where I was sitting in yet another episode of trying to unlock the funds in my late mother's accounts. This is what I saw, so it's what I drew. People occasionally sat in one of the chairs, but they didn't stay long enough for me to draw them. So aspiring sketchers,  just remember one thing: keep your sketchbook and pen or pencil with you at all times, and you may get the opportunity to draw a water bottle or a houseplant or even a wastebasket!

Tech pen black ink on sketchbook page, about 7" x 5", February 10, 2016.

No comments: