Monday, February 1, 2016

Digital Ink Horse Head


I drew a horse head as a digital inking exercise on the Cintiq. The idea is that it should look exactly as if I had drawn it with real ink and dip pen. And the Cintiq stylus does not leak ink all over my hands. Also I can use digital white-out by overlaying the pixels with opaque white. My next assignment involves a fantasy horse head portrait but it won't look "traditional" like this. I don't even think it's worthwhile to call some art "traditionally" made and other art "digitally" made, as if it were fake if done on a computer. It's the artist that makes the quality not the tools. Photoshop on Cintiq has its inconveniences too. Tonight it decided for no reason to go back to the "default" settings, thus bewildering me the user who lost the access to various useful photoshop tools because the icons for them were hidden. I found them when I pressed the "reset workspace" bar. I would like to draw more horses no matter what medium I use. There are plenty of horses in Virginia wine country.

Photoshop on the Cintiq, from a photograph. 5 1/2" x 5", February 1, 2016. 

No comments: