Friday, January 1, 2016

Brandeis University 1975


I graduated from Brandeis University in 1975. I am so glad I don't have to go to college now. Not that Brandeis was a bad school - it was great, in a traditional way. I got a degree in Greek and Latin Classics, suitable for an 18th century gentleman who enjoyed many quiet days in his library. But I was drawing pictures all the time anyway, educated or not. This is a study of the tree branches outside my dorm room, done in colored pencil. I found it in the stacks of papers in my mother's room. I did the exact same view in watercolor and ink for comparison. You can see from the touches of pale green that spring was almost there. In the background is the grey stone faux-Castle which was one of the legacy buildings of Brandeis, the oldest structure on campus which originally housed student rooms, classrooms, and a coffeehouse. But I'm glad I don't have to go to college because all I hear about are the pressures to get a "marketable" degree that will make you a living in the modern world. 

Brandeis view is colored pencil on Fabriano thick paper, 6" x 9", spring 1975.

Happy New Year, folks!

No comments: