Saturday, October 10, 2015

InkTober 9 Working Guys


Is art work? As you might say, "Sometimes." Here are images of some real workers. This is from the Gempler's industrial supply catalog, which is a fascinating compilation of things most of us never think about, let alone need or buy. The catalog offers many different varieties of coveralls and protective clothing, whose designs are directed not by fashion but by pure function. Their catalog models, almost all male, look like "real people" and not slick, thin, leisurely L.L. Bean or Lands End people. These guys work.

Can I say that I work? The definition of "work" for an artist is varied. There is the standard of "hours spent in studio with pen, brush, or stylus" which is easy to figure out. Then there are research hours. And then there are the less work-y things, like a trip to a winery in order to sip wine AND make a drawing. But can you call creative brainstorming work? As in, how do I put together the best illustration ideas before Mr. Client ever sees a sketch? Am I doing as much work as your proverbial tech guy working 80 to 100 hours a week? Is he doing a drawing every day? Is a drawing worth less money if I spent only an hour doing it? Unlike my previous job, with art work you don't usually punch a time clock coming and going.

Meanwhile, these little drawings were done for the "InkTober" challenge but they are also work-related, as they are studies done from an image on the computer screen. I will be drawing an illustration of a guy in a coverall for one of my assignments. And I don't have to wear a heavy coverall to work hard.

Pitt tech pen black ink on sketchbook page, 4" x 4 1/2", InkTober 9, October 10, 2015.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

LOL my brain read the title and at first thought, where are the other guys, it says 9 working guys and I only see two! Glad to see you doing Inktober. Wish I could keep up and draw each day, health and other stuff just not letting me do it well this year! :(