Thursday, June 4, 2015

Somerville Porch


There is nothing more artistically satisfying to me than drawing buildings. Most of my art friends like drawing people more than buildings and at least two of them that I know go out of their way not to draw architecture. But I love sitting with my tech pen and sketchbook and drawing a porch or a handsome window or a complex roof line. At one point I briefly considered becoming an architect but I was told that the architectural profession is disappearing and that they make no money. I still love to read about architects who live in fabulous houses they designed themselves and who travel the world building things and who are richly paid by celebrity clients. And who can wear astonishing outfits like the leather-clad Peter Marino, known mostly for his commercial architecture for high-end fashion stores. I am like OMG CHECK OUT THE BLACK LEATHER. But when it comes to drawing buildings for me, I get to draw mostly weathered, old, paint-peeling, grayish, unglamorous edifices without charm or trendiness. This porch is in Somerville, Mass. near where I used to live in Cambridge, Mass. Where is my glamorous personal brand? Where are my celebrity clients? Shall I draw something sleek?

Drawing is black tech pen ink on sketchbook page, about 5 1/2" x 7 1/2", July 1982.

No comments: