Sunday, June 7, 2015

How to Draw Cats


I have a book which has been very helpful over the years. It is called, "How to Draw Cats." The first sentence of the book should be (but isn't), "Find a cat." In the summer of 1982 the cat found me as my cousins boarded their "Popcorn" with me while they took a road trip vacation. Popcorn occupied my house and provided many opportunities for cat drawing. He had his favorite chair which I hardly ever sat in, but he would be there for hours so I could draw whatever part of him, or all of him, I wanted. Seems like if you spend time with cats, they all take the same positions more or less so one thing about "How to Draw Cats" is, if you want to capture the cat image in any position, just wait and he will show it to you. Even a full face drawing though it's somewhat harder to get him to look at you for more than a few seconds. 

Black technical pen ink on sketchbook page, 9" x 7", July 1982.

No comments: