Sunday, June 14, 2015

Tinner Hill Blues Festival


I missed a post yesterday (June 13) because my main computer, the iMac on which I do my blogging and digital art, failed. It reverted to a blank white screen and wouldn't go any further. With some panicked referrals to my Mac-expert friends I was able to get the machine going again but only in what is called "safe mode" which decreases the computer's ability to get stuff done. It goes slowly, cannot download anything to my external storages like memory sticks, has no sound, and my Wacom art tablet doesn't work well. With this failure I decided to go to a live event and forget about the screen for a while. 

The Tinner Hill Blues Festival has been going on for more than 20 years in downtown Falls Church. Tinner Hill was the African-American district of Falls Church and its inhabitants and founding families have a history of civil rights achievements. The festival is in a park where many events and summer concerts take place. I sat on a borrowed chair under an awning and drew the music barn and the tents above the audience and the sound crew. Fortunately, there was no rain. There was delicious "soul food" from vendors, and beer from a local brewpub. 

Here are some drawings of some of the attendees. I always draw at concerts if I get the chance. Meanwhile I have to get my computer fixed. I'll have to drag it to the "Genius Bar" at the Apple Store in the nearby mall, or rather, find or hire someone to drag it because it's too heavy for me to lift. 



Black tech pen ink on sketchbook page, both drawings about 5" x 7" each.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

But it's not in blue! Sorry that was my first thought when I read Blues Festival and see the black line drawings! LOL