Saturday, March 14, 2015

Trader Joe's T-Shirts



I have dozens of Trader Joe's T-shirts. Some of them date back to 2003 or 2004, when I was first working there. Others are Hawaiian shirts from those early days when every employee, not just the managers, could wear them. I will of course keep my custom-made Hawaiian shirts but the other shirts will go.

Here, a lizard-bird unloads a Trader Joe's T-shirt from a cluttered closet. I have 11 years of memorabilia from my TJ days but none of it is worth very much. The shirts are available on eBay, all under $20 so it is not true that these are prized and costly collector's items. Most of these I will either give back to the organization if they are in good shape, or deposit in one of those old clothing bins which seem to be in every shopping center. The clothes from those bins are re-sold to people in, uh, "developing" countries so someone in Micronesia or Mali or the hinterlands of Ghana will soon be wearing a colorful Trader Joe's T-shirt.

Sepia technical pen ink on sketchbook page, 7" x 4", March 14, 2015.

No comments: