Saturday, January 31, 2015

Industrial Workshop Interior


"Nova Labs" in Reston, Virginia has just moved into a new space which they are re-modeling into a people's technology center. I was invited to their "meet up" and was given a tour of the facility, or rather what the facility is going to be like when they've finished their re-model job. I sat in their main hall and did this iPad sketch of one of the more finished areas of the lab. The big orange air ducts on the ceiling and the white-painted metal openwork give it a late '70s neo-industrial style reminiscent of the Pompidou Center in Paris. Crafters and inventors and "makers" of all kinds are invited to participate in this new place. I might even take a class there myself, in what I want to call "Carpentry for Ladies." I've always wanted to learn how to use a hammer and saw and make things out of wood, but I was told in my youth that "girls don't do that" so I never tried. Anyway here's my iPaddery of the NovaLabs interior. The grey thing in the center is a printer for big poster-size prints, and the green bits to the right foreground are a stack of metal and plastic chairs.

"ArtStudio" app for iPad, January 30, 2015.

No comments: