Thursday, January 15, 2015

Deryni Rider


More archival explorations found me breathing dust in forgotten corners of my dwelling. A lot of the bulk turned out to be yearly compilations of correspondence and bank statements from my religious group, where I am the treasurer. But there was also a lot of material from my days doing fan art, as well as some copies of a lavish "encyclopedia" of Katherine Kurtz' "Deryni" world which I did the cover for. I have been drawing Deryni fan art for ages, though not much any more. This piece, depicting a Deryni rider approaching a dark old ruin, is from a fan magazine featuring both writing and art. I made the picture kind of generic because I didn't have a story to work from. The only "Deryni" identifier in the picture is the halo around the rider's head, a sign of his magical power. In my opinion, Katherine K. and her Deryni have not received the art they deserve through the decades, and I have not ruled out doing more of it.

"Deryni Rider" is ink on illustration board, 6" x 10", September 1988.

2 comments:

Tristan Alexander said...

This is a great little illo, it could be used for almost any good medieval story. Your pen work has always been wonderful!

Robby Baby Dark Poet of Amour said...

Once again tonight, I am drawn to what feels to be a medieval feel in art. Isn't it funny when days have "themes" like that. I was very much drawn into this picture in a subtle yet powerful way; it's the way the rider looks departing the castle. Somehow,I feel much emotion to it, as if a dramatic event has just happened. That really draws me into the story of this picture. I really enjoy that; it makes me feel engaged and part of the art.