Friday, December 26, 2014

Deryni Grail Maiden


This is an experimental piece in which I discarded the usual rectangular border and used picture elements as the edge of the artwork. I started with a pen drawing and then colored it in with watercolor. The character is inspired by the "Deryni" people and medieval world of Katherine Kurtz, who has just released another book installment, "The King's Deryni," after a long wait. This image also recalls the Arthurian legend of the "Grail Maiden." It was a sketch and an experiment to see whether this ink and watercolor style would work for a possible Deryni graphic novel. I did try some graphic illustrated pages but since the plot I was working with no longer exists (and has been re-told in "The King's Deryni") I am no longer doing that project.

Ink and watercolor on Fabriano board, 7" x 10", November 2002.

No comments: