Saturday, November 1, 2014

Mall-o-ween 2014


As I did last year, I evaded the candy-snarfing door-knocking youths in dark hoodies (no costumes) by going to the nearby Mall. The mall hosts Halloween activity for younger kids and their parents. The kids wear costumes, and sometimes the parents do too, and they trick-or-treat the stores, which have someone giving out candy. I brought my sketchbook with me and drew as many costumed kids as I could. Since they were all moving, I had to do a lot from instant memory and some invention, as I could not see all the details of the costumes. Some of the better ones were superheroes, butterflies, Egyptian princesses, bees and ladybugs, and of course the feminine gender-specified fairies and princesses. There were also the usual "traditional" characters of pirates and Gypsies and ninjas and zombies. Almost all of the costumes were pre-fabricated, rather than created by the wearer and parents. I was reminded of my own trick-or-treating nights, which were exciting because you were out at night all by yourself. This no longer happens for modern kids, who are protected from weather and accidents and bad people in the safety of the mall. Meanwhile, I took home some candy myself, since the mall "hosts" didn't mind handing it out to me.

Brown Pitt technical pen ink on sketchbook page, 5" x 8", October 31, 2014. Last "Inktober" drawing for this year. Click on the pic for a larger view.

No comments: