Monday, November 24, 2014

Algorithm 5: Squares and Rectangles


An algorithm, according to the search engine definition, is a procedure or formula for solving a problem. A mathematical recipe, perhaps. When I do my geometric abstraction pictures, I use an algorithm to decide how I'm going to do the composition. Will I use curved lines? Will I repeat angles and mirror them? Or will I use only right angles, squares, and rectangles? This is a doodle created with the "right angle perpendicular squares and rectangles" algorithm. I drew the lines in ink and shaded the spaces with Photoshop. This piece looks very "mid-century modern" (1950s), because this type of design was popular then, even among high-concept artists and designers. It also is inspired by the look of a modern city. 

Technical pen ink on sketchbook page, about 8" x 2 1/4", shaded in Photoshop, November 2014.

No comments: