Saturday, October 11, 2014

Spiritual Cat


Everyone who knows me, knows I'm a cat lover, even though allergies make it difficult for me to live with cats. The ordinary housecat is my "spirit animal," if non-Native Americans can have a spirit animal. I prefer the "tuxedo cat," the neatly attired black cat with white paws, necktie, and face blaze. Back in pre-historic days (pre-Internet) I attended a lot of conventions and it was the fashion to have name tags made for yourself, or if you were an artist, to show your art off by making your own name tag. This is from a convention name tag and it has been cropped to remove the name, which I no longer use. The monogram made from that name, however, remains in the star-shaped design at upper right. I still sign my art with the monogram, however repulsive I consider the old name. This design is a bit more stylized and "graphic" than I usually go with, but if you are doing a tiny artwork you need visibility and clarity. Also I don't use these green colors a lot, but I think they look good here. I have considered doing more cat-related art but I haven't done much of it.

Gouache on thick paper, about 2 1/4" x 3", 1977.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

You need to do some cats with your abstract spacy backgrounds (you did the background on this almost like them just in greens).
And in the Furry Fandom name tags are still big!