Monday, July 14, 2014

Coconut Oil


At Trader Joe's they choose their specialties carefully but also respect what's trendy in culinary circles. These last couple of years, coconut oil has made a comeback in the "healthy foods" category. I remember back to my youth when coconut oil, which was a favorite for deep-frying and fondue, was reviled as the worst possible oil you could use. Nowadays it's promoted as full of nutrients and "fatty acids" which are supposed to do all sorts of good things for you and paradoxically help you lose weight. So here on the billboard is the TJ coconut oil which comes in a jar and is also usable as an ointment which will keep your skin soft. The price number is superimposed on a green coconut, not the ripe ones which are brown and shaggy. Everyone eat coconut stuff now, it's all over the shelves at Tropical Joe's. 

Acrylic markers on black-painted Masonite board, 6 feet x 2 feet, July 13, 2014.

A Blogification note: I am having some trouble with Photoshop CS4. The "crop tool" which crops photographs and scans has failed and will not crop or adjust the size of pictures. As far as I know this is the only thing in PS that has gone wrong so far. I've tried re-starting my system many times and have unplugged and re-plugged my Wacom tablet to no avail. I don't want to have to completely re-install Photoshop which will lose me many of my pre-set brushes and all my color swatches, but I may have to. Until this problem is solved I am processing photos on my laptop but the logistics of moving it to a new workspace and transferring files are cumbersome. There may be some interruptions in By-Product posting. Photoshop advice is welcome.

No comments: