Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Sime Guy


I made a lot of fan art for the "Sime-Gen" community in the '80s and '90s. Then the Internet happened and I did not make any more art for them. It wasn't a matter of money, because there wasn't any. I was quite active in my day though. The bizarre world building of that universe fascinated me. Some sort of genetic engineering (or alien crossbreeding?) broke humanity into two separate sectors, the Simes endowed with tentacles on their forearms and subsisting on bioplasmic energy, and the Gens, the non-tentacled partner race who supplied that energy. I love world building and sci-fi engineering, so how did it happen? Under any circumstances such a development in the human race would lead to titanic disruptions and the deaths of millions, maybe billions! The authors decided never to explain or describe how the whole mutation thing happened, but naturally that's what I wanted to know about the most.

The Sime Guy here is twiddling his tentacles and playing with the bioplasmic energy that fuels his life. He is one of the "Endowed," a special Sime who can do psychic powers with that energy. He probably knows how it all happened but he isn't talking.

"Sime Guy" is mixed media on rough-textured grey paper, 10" x 7", November 1998.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I know I keep saying this, but here is yet another great people picture by you. I think the only reason you can't do "good people pictures" now is because you think you can't. I have learned most of the time an artist can not do something they were able to do before is psychological, you think you can't so you can't. Just do it, forget that you think you can't and remember you already HAVE, so clearly you have the ability!