Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Dragon Head for May


I recently acquired a large picture book filled with beautiful photographic images of reptiles of all kinds, from turtles to lizards to snakes. I intended it to inspire pictures of dragons and dragon-like critters. So I took one of the beasties as a model and drew its head into my sketchbook, adding horns and spikes as are traditional for a dragon (and which appear on the heads of many real creatures.). And lo and behold, instead of a reptile dragon, I drew a chicken dragon. A rooster he may be, but he's a beaked chicken, with a wattle and horns instead of a cockscomb. Possibly this is inspired by my recent visit to Aspen Dale winery where I admired their rooster. But then again, as recent paleontology has demonstrated, birds evolved from dinosaurs and related reptiles, and they still have some reptilian characteristics which you can clearly see in birds like chickens and turkeys. So here's the head of the Roosterdragon. Just imagine what a dragon crowing for dawn might sound like.

Ink and some marker white-out on sketchbook page finished in Photoshop digital inking, 4 1/2" x 4", May 7, 2014.

No comments: