Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tree Fantasy Pin-up


Here's another attempt at doing a fantasy pin-up. My model is from a book of photographs called "1960s Glamour: 20th Century Pin-ups." The girls in the book are not professional models, but amateurs whose photos were published in British mens' girlie mags in the mid-century. The surroundings or interiors where the models posed are now historically interesting. 

My figure is halfway OK except for the upraised right arm which I have never been able to do. It looks awkward in the model, too, which brings up the question: is the model ever awkward, and if so, do you draw her that way. Or do you have this magic figure drawing ability that can "clean up" poses and make her look graceful no matter what. I tried to put in the big round boobies which are so necessary nowadays for a pin-up babe. The photo models in the '60s didn't have implants but most of the pin-up models nowadays do. This leads to the question of whether you should alter the breasts of your model to make them look like the standards of the 21st century. Remember this is fantasy not real life. Anyway, I tried again. I am again recommended by my fellow artists to keep drawing live nude models. If I find one available I would be happy to draw her. But she won't look like a fantasy girl.

Ink and markers on sketchbook page, 3 1/2" x 5 1/2", April 22, 2014.

No comments: