Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Durnik the Smith, from Eddings


During the 1980s and 1990s the late author David Eddings wrote many series of entertaining fantasy books. The "Belgariad," one of his earlier sets, became quite popular and much art was created illustrating it, including my art. You've been seeing my current character portraits for "Iridar" but I've been doing character portraits all my life. This one, of the brave and good-natured blacksmith Durnik, is from the "Belgariad" which features, like so many texts of this kind, a line-up of stock fantasy characters who all must search for magical talismans, use magic wisely, and defeat evil characters. Eddings' work is somewhat dated ("Young king hidden among peasants") and possibly culturally insensitive in his portrayal of "Oriental"  and "African" characters and cultures. Nevertheless people still read them. It wouldn't be my first choice to re-read Eddings, although I compiled extensive notes on the books when I read them 20 (!) years ago.

Durnik the smith is colored pencil on Bristol board, 7" x 10", April 1993.

2 comments:

Tristan Alexander said...

Very nice! This looks like a real person and is a great picture.

Mike (Altus) said...

It's been a long time since I read that series, but I recall liking Durnik. Great rendition. :)