Sunday, March 9, 2014

Cactus Re-Pot


It's that time of year again, time to re-pot the cacti which have been sitting indoors under artificial light for months. They grow, slowly, and get too big for their tiny pots. In the springtime, should springtime ever arrive, the cacti will go out onto the terrace. Usually the plants survive the re-pot job. I grow cacti and succulents because they are the plants that are adapted to the desert-like dryness of my apartment. I haven't had a real dirt garden in decades, I'm sorry to say. I made a drawing of the re-potted cacti to document the work. The one in the back is possibly some kind of Echinocereus, and the one in front with all the little offshoots is a Mammillaria Prolifera. It has been blooming for many weeks and you can just see a little flower at the top right of the plant. I acquired this as a single broken-off offshoot from a friend many years ago. 

Pitt technical pen on sketchbook page, about 4" x 7", March 8, 2014.

No comments: