Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Renaissance Elric


It's a bit disappointing to find some of my art from 1977, 37 years ago, that is as good as anything I could create today. Haven't I improved at all? I don't know what to say. I drew this engraving-like portrait of fantasy character Elric, the albino sorcerer exiled king, in my 1977 journal book. Michael Moorcock's doomed anti-hero has always been a big favorite of mine and I drew quite a lot of pictures from his stories while I was a graduate student, instead of studying. This drawing, done in the style of Renaissance wood engravings, shows Elric with his great magical sword "Stormbringer," which eats souls. It's as big as a Scottish claymore and I've always wondered how Elric drew the blade when it was time to use it. I suppose, much like the immense weapons now carried by video game characters, its magic supersedes its mass and allows it to defy any laws of physics it needs to.

Black ink with dip pen on sketchbook page, 3 1/2" x 7", March 1977.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Great pen work. Doesn't look like Elric to me but I love the drawing anyway.