Friday, February 7, 2014

Iophar, City of Magic


It's a standard requirement for a sword 'n' sorcery tale that it describes fantastic cities or other forms of architecture in the hero's journey. This one, in Lin Carter's "Iridar," is "Iophar," the city of magic, where our hero is brought after he is shipwrecked. I've done a full-sized series of these magical cities, but this one, which resembles some of the ones in the series, is a miniature. The architecture as described by the author is traditional for magical cities, involving tall crystal spires, gleaming domes, gardens, and fabulously shaped ceremonial buildings. My designs here fit the bill but in my opinion are a bit too Disney-fied and if I were to re-do it, I'd put more "Alexandria" in it. 

Colored ink and markers on sketchbook page, sky and horizon added in Photoshop to replace text block. About 7 1/2" x 4 1/2", February 6, 2014.

No comments: