Thursday, February 27, 2014

Elric and Moonglum 1977


The doomed albino sorceror-king Elric is one of my all-time favorite fantasy characters. Michael Moorcock, the author creator, creates a panorama of decadent and beautiful scenarios and places for Elric to explore. At his side for many of these tales is a small warrior squire named "Moonglum," who selflessly stays by Elric when all others desert him. Naturally, Moonglum has red hair (every fantasy has at least one red-headed character) and he is a good fighter. I gave him a Mongol face and attire, I don't remember whether Moorcock specified an ethnic background for him. Here is Elric with "Stormbringer," the demonic magical soul stealing sword, and Moonglum by his side.

Ink on sketchbook page, about 6" x 3 1/2", March 1977.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

That is a very nice version of Elric and Moonglum! You know that Elric is also one of my all time favorite characters and I am very picky about pictures of him. Great pen work and I like that you just tented his eyes and left everything else black and white. I may have to try to get a print of this sometime.