Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Chandar, Hero of Iridar


Chandar is the hero of "Flame of Iridar." The last surviving member of the royal family of Orm, he leads a seacoast rebellion against the evil empire of Shiangkor. At the beginning of the story he is captured and was about to be executed in the gladiators' arena but is magically rescued by the evil wizard Sarkond, who wants to take advantage of Chandar's magical talisman weapon, the "Axe of Orm." This item can channel titanic magical energies which can break down the defenses of Iophar, city of magic. It also appears to exist in variable sizes: though it can fit in the pocket you see on Chandar's belt, it, uh, grows bigger when it needs to do its magical thing.

This drawing isn't what I was trying for. It's more "storybook" than heroic. And the figure drawing is crap. I want that epic look that you see in game and movie art, but my figures just aren't good enough for it. At work I got a co-worker to model the hand holding the haft of the Axe, but I had to find another reference for the rest of the body. As you know over all the years you've read this Blog (there may be one or two of you) I constantly struggle with human figure drawing, no matter how many bodies I draw.

Pitt brown technical pen colored with markers on sketchbook page, about 4 1/2" x 5 3/4", February 12, 2014.

No comments: