Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Modern Family at the Nativity


This fannish family was a regular visitor to DarkoverCon in its earlier days. I enjoyed their company and they bought my art, too. Since DarkoverCon (now Chessiecon) takes place a month before  Christmas, there is always an element of preparation for the holiday at the con. My art-patron family commissioned me to do an illustration of themselves at the traditional manger of the Nativity. They would use this as a Christmas card for their own friends. So I placed them in the Biblical legend as modern visitors to the sacred crib. I included some traditional animals, but in the sky the holy Star of Bethlehem was replaced by a dirigible, which the boy on the right is excitedly pointing to. The ruins of an ancient city are in the background. I was hoping to see these folks at the last DarkoverCon but it didn't happen. 

Fan family at Nativity is ink on illustration board, 8 1/2" x 11", December 1993. 

And a very merry Christmas and/or Happy Holiday to all my By-Product readers, near and far. Remember: Imagination is reality!

No comments: