Friday, October 18, 2013

Mecha Portrait


Warrior robots often have someone inside them, so that they are really powered armor or walking tanks rather than just a mechanical battle robot. I am learning how to draw these essential characters from books by David White, who enthusiastically fills pages with these elaborate, detail-filled armored figures. And if I copy White's illustrations and instructions, I can draw them too. Just as I did with dragons a couple of years ago. Even though mecha are a Japanese import, they are part of our own culture now, just like Toyotas, sushi, and Copic markers. I would be interested to know if White and other mecha artists know exactly what purpose all these interlocking parts and planes and plates have, or do they just make 'em up as they go along. This one here has got a bit of "Warhammer 40K" influence on it, with the ribbons and the winged insignia. I still think these would be a little impractical in a real war, but what do I know about real warfare? Nothing. 

Ink and greyscale markers on sketchbook page, 3 1/2" x 3 1/2", October 18, 2013.

No comments: