Sunday, September 8, 2013

First Friday Cars


On the first Friday of every month, there's a local festival in my town (and others) that promotes arts, crafts, good eating, and socializing. There's a band playing old familiar songs. In Falls Church, the "First Friday" takes over a parking lot and hosts vendors, artists, the band, craftspeople, and also an array of old collectible vehicles. Some of these are beautifully restored, or cleverly modified into hot rods or "funny cars." Others are in the process of restoration, or, as the "Joe Dirt Special" in this picture (the 1972 Buick Skylark to the left) are still awaiting restoration. Lots of people come to admire the cars and enjoy the music.

I was invited to set up my art table among the vendors so I sat there at the festival drawing cars and buildings. Some of the car owners gave my drawings a lot of attention. I'll be drawing at the outdoor festival again next month. After October the cars go into their garages and "First Friday" moves indoors.

"First Friday September" is ink on Moleskine sketchbook page, 7 1/2" x 4 1/2", September 6, 2013.

No comments: