Monday, August 5, 2013

Elric Face Front


In the mid-1970s I was thrilled by the tales of Elric, the albino sorcerer king exiled from his own country, wandering the earth having adventures and being miserable. I found my first Elric books as British editions when I was wandering through Europe in 1976, having adventures but not being too miserable. I started painting little illustrations of Elric as portrait character and in action while I was still in Europe, and continued when I came home to the USA and became a graduate student, which made me miserable. This little portrait of Elric was painted during my first few months in graduate school (studying Greek and Latin classics). Elric, in the story, is linked with a huge magical sword, "Stormbringer," which is magically alive and eats the souls of whomever it kills. I've given it an eye on the hilt to show its evil life and power. Elric's albino eyes are red, as frequently described by Moorcock, even though the usual color for albino humanoid eyes is pink or a weird purplish blue.

"Elric Alert" is ink and watercolor on Fabriano paper, 5" x 3", fall 1976. 

A note on my art numbering system. I have numbered and catalogued my creations ever since 1976. My first numbered painting, catalogue number 1, was a fall 1976 watercolor miniature of Elric brandishing his magical sword. This was lost when its owner moved. Catalogue number 2 is this picture, which is still locatable in the collection of the person who bought it. That makes this picture the earliest in my catalogue to have a picture and to be featured on the By-Product. I am currently at catalogue number 1,013.

No comments: