Monday, August 26, 2013

Cave Ridge Vines


Here's another image from Cave Ridge Vineyard. The brown line drawing was done by hand, and scanned in. Then I added the color "painting" with Photoshop. The colors which seem so bright are as true to life as my memory can make them. I had a photograph of the scene but I didn't use it much as a reference because it was taken when the scene was in the shadow of a passing cloud. Memory will bring me sunlit summer and fruitful vines. The image is authentic enough because I was there on site during at least part of the production. Some artists actually bring their laptops and Photoshop to the scene they want to depict, but it's a cumbersome process. Even the iPad has a major "drawback" in that its screen is highly reflective and on a bright day you can't see what you are drawing on it. So since I have a good memory for colors and forms and scenes, I'm working with this hybrid technique, as long as it has grapevines in it.

Pitt brown technical pen and Photoshop, about 7 1/2" x 5", August 24-26, 2013.

No comments: