Sunday, June 16, 2013

Baroque Space Marines


These two drawings fill spaces in between text blocks in my graphic-heavy journal book. The top one is more Baroque architecture details and the bottom is roughly sketched silhouettes of Space Marines. The general rule in the Warhammer 40K world is that if you see some glorious palace or beautiful city or lovely natural area, it is guaranteed to be destroyed by the end of the book. I suppose the authors, gameplayers, and fans enjoy this type of thing, somewhat like boys knocking down sand castles or virtually nuking SimCity. I doubt whether any girls play Warhammer but some girls torture and dismember their Barbie dolls, too. I just feel bad for all the annihilated fictional beauty and uncounted fictional people massacred to fulfill the Emperor's destiny-bound commands. I'm just too soft, I guess. Just don't ask me to get really soft and do pink "My Little Pony" cartoons. If you do want me to draw My Little Pony, you'd better have a lot of cash. Me, I'd rather go for baroque. 

Ink and Copic brush marker on sketchbook page, about 4 1/2" x 4", June 16, 2013.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Interesting juxtaposition!