Monday, May 6, 2013

Never Enough Azaleas


This house is about a mile from mine, in an older neighborhood behind a large shopping center. In mid-spring the entire neighborhood is swamped with brilliant azalea blossoms, and this household leads the way with more azaleas than anyone else. They tend them and prune them for maximum blossom density. I guess their sentiment is, you can never have enough azaleas. 

I drew this sketch on site many years ago. I was enjoying a big new set of colored pencils. Most sets of colored pencils come with all sorts of brilliant colors, especially pinks and reds, and usually I never have the opportunity to use all the bright colors. (I would love to have a colored pencil set composed entirely of earth tones; I created one by buying individual pencils and stashing them in a separate pencil holder.) But this time I got to use all those pink colors in a "reality" drawing. 

This year, 15 years after the drawing, the azaleas at this house are still going strong. Here's a photograph I took just a few days ago.


Azalea drawing is ink and colored pencil on sketchbook page, about 7 1/2" x 5", May 1998.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Love the colours :)