Thursday, April 18, 2013

Art-Man


This is more of a "concept" piece than an actual final artwork. I wanted to put a super-hero and a nebula and some geometric abstraction together to see if I could make something that was heroic and whimsical at the same time. So here's "Art-Man," in the traditional circus tights and cape, painting geometry into space. I started out with acrylic and then glued silvery Mylar plastic foil on it in a rare use of "collage" technique. I also was experimenting with a human figure in space. Flying superheroes and spacemen are a chance to do human figures in perspectives that do not exist on earth (at least without tricks like hanging on a trapeze or being underwater). Baroque artists in the seventeenth century loved to do these seen-from-below perspectives when they painted angels and saints in Heaven on the inside of church domes. Now we have super-heroes instead of saints and angels. 

"Art-Man" is acrylic on black illustration board, 10" x 7", January 1987. 

A note on my current family situation: My father's condition continues to be unpredictable. At this point I am not yet on my way to Boston and may not be until next month. So I'll continue my work schedule and blogging as usual, until further developments. Thanks to MKS for her kind and caring comment.

No comments: